Giants confirm they will cut Ereck Flowers

Giants confirm they will cut Ereck Flowers

liny195
Tuesday barring trade It appears the New York Giants organization has reached the conclusion its fans came to long ago [url=http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-jon-halapio-jersey]Cheap Jon Halapio Jersey[/url] , deciding to move on from tackle Ereck Flowers. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Giants will try to find a trade partner for the offensive lineman and, barring that, will release him by 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday. Coach Pat Shurmur confirmed this report in talking to reporters on Monday.The Giants are also confirming it.The Giants selected Flowers with the ninth overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, hoping that he’d be a long-time anchor of their offensive line at left tackle. However, that initial promise never flourished; he’s been the team’s leader in penalties called against him during his tenure while giving up 169 quarterback pressures, the most of any offensive tackle since 2015 according to Pro Football Focus (via Patricia Traina at Forbes.com). The Washington Post has Flowers allowing 18 sacks in 51 games (with 48 starts) as well as 28 penalties over his Giants career.The writing was on the wall for Flowers’ chances to contribute this year, first by the Giants’ signing of free agent Nate Solder to handle left tackle duties and then by the team declining to pick up Flowers’ $12.525 million fifth-year option in May. The final nail in the coffin came in late September, when Flowers, moved to right tackle, was then benched in favor of Chad Wheeler.Despite the need for tackle help and depth around the league, it will be hard for the Giants to find a trade partner in time for the team’s reported self-imposed Tuesday afternoon deadline. As Schefter points out, any team to add him would also add Flowers’ $2.39 million base salary. Given Flowers’ well-publicized struggles in the NFL, few teams would want to put forth that kind of cash for someone who may be no more than a bench piece for the rest of the season.As for the Giants, they should have no trouble replacing Flowers. New York currently has three offense tackles on their practice squad — Brian Mihalik, Victor Salako and Jylan Ware — and one of whom will likely be promoted to the 53-man roster once Flowers is off of it.Post-game quotebook: What the Giants were saying after Sunday’s loss to Jacksonville What were the New York Giants and Jacksonville Jaguars saying after Sunday’s 20-15 loss by the Giants in the season-opening game for both teams? Let’s find out.Saquon Barkley on his touchdown ...“It was amazing; it was a great feeling [url=http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-connor-barwin-jersey]http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-connor-barwin-jersey[/url] , but it was a feeling that came and went. One touchdown is not going to win the game, and that touchdown didn’t win the game this week, but to get in there, it was a dream come true to find the end zone. I did keep the ball, but it was just like ‘Move on, next play’, and find a way to get in there again.”Barkley on the fourth-down run where he came up short ...“Fourth-and-one is always tough to get, especially when you have a defense like that. Fourth-and-one mentality is you have to get it no matter what by any-means-necessary. I jumped and I thought I had it, I thought I did enough to keep the sticks moving, but I didn’t and that is something where there’s no excuses that I’m a young player, and I have to realize how important that is.”Jacksonville coach Doug Marrone on Barkley ...“We knew he was a really good player coming in. It’s one of those games where you feel like you’re doing a good job, you’ve got a lot of population to the football, you got a lot of people trying to bring him down. Then all of a sudden, bam! He breaks that, whatever it was [url=http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-will-hernandez-jersey]Cheap Will Hernandez Jersey[/url] , 68-yard run ... he’s a heck of a player.”Jacksonville’s Calais Campbell on Barkley ...“I knew right away. The first run and the first couple of times I tackled him, I said, “this kid has something.” Obviously, you see it on tape, but we didn’t get to watch a lot of tape on him. It’s his college tape. Coming into the NFL against a team like ours, and making some of the plays he made, that kid’s going to be special. I traded jerseys with him after the game because I was like, “Okay, if he can stay healthy, he might one day be a Hall of Famer. So now, I’ll get his jersey when he’s young.”Landon Collins on the play of the defense ...“... we were playing a good offense and their run game is very hard to protect and we were playing good against it so we can definitely build on top of that and just make sure we get the communication right and on the same page as always.Brad Penner-USA TODAY SportsOdell Beckham Jr. on his matchup with Jalen Ramsey ...“He’s like a brother to me, we kicked it over the offseason, we talked back and forth. He’s a competitor, I’m a competitor, I love the way he plays [url=http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-eli-manning-jersey]Cheap Eli Manning Jersey[/url] , I love everything about his game. It was fun to go out there and compete against, if not the, one of the best in the league, hands down.”Ramsey on facing Beckham ...“Like I said on Thursday when I was talking to the media, that’s not what it was about. I was shocked when you make it just about me and Odell. It was 11 vs. 11. I knew I would be on him a fair amount, but I wasn’t on him 100% of the time and I knew it was going to take all 11 guys on the defense to get the job done so that’s what we did out here and we got a good win.Janoris Jenkins on building off the loss ...“I think we all can build off of it—defense, offense and special teams. Once we get in the film room, we’ll see what critiques we have to make and we’re just going to come out and keep hustling every day.”Pat Shurmur on the struggles of the offensive line ...“We battled a really good defense. You’re looking at a top-10 defense and we battled them and I thought they fought throughout the game. We can probably all point to individual bad plays by everyone, me included, so I feel like they battled and we’ve just got to go back and correct the mistakes that maybe showed up and get ready to play Dallas.”Shurmur on Beckham’s return ...“I thought he competed throughout, put him in a lot of different situations and I think it’s a good idea to throw him the ball. We threw to him a lot and he made a lot of plays.”Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles asked if he thought he was going to score on his 41-yard run ...“No, not once. This isn’t high school. There was no way. I got 30 yards, then the hamstrings locked up and it was time to get out of bounds.”