Washington for a second opinion

zhangzk
Sam Darnold already has impressed his teammates and his coaches. Now Youth Da'Shawn Hand Jersey , it’s opponents who are saying good things about the Jets rookie quarterback.

Pro Bowl cornerback Josh Norman raved about Darnold after joint practices between Washington and the Jets.

“How do I want to word this?” Norman said, via video posted by Kimberly Martin of the Washington Post. “Someone asked me about him the other day and I was like, ‘Yeah, whatever; he’s just a guy.’ Then you go out here and see him making these throws and you’re like, all right. That’s not so much a college-level throw. He’s putting them on the money.

“It’s like, dang. You get rookies in here and you try to mess them with a little bit and bait them a little bit into thinking they’re throwing a route, and you can make a play, and he’s not having it. It’s so crazy to see that at an early age. Dak [Prescott] has that; Carson [Wentz] has that. So it’s like, man, they must come in here not wanting to screw it up, and he’s so far impressed me, and I didn’t want him to. I wanted to break all rookies. He’s been doing a great job.”

The Jets listed Darnold third on their depth chart last week before their preseason game against the Falcons. After Darnold went 13-of-18 for 96 yards and a touchdown Browns Baker Mayfield Jersey , the Jets rewarded him with first-team reps. There is optimism in New York that the Jets have their starter not only of the future but of the present.

Norman sees why.

“I gave him some cheese,” Norman said. “He held it, and he was going to throw it, and he pulled it back, and I jumped back real fast and I was like, ‘You little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now.’ I couldn’t bait him like I wanted to and he saw it, and he read it out, and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they’re not. It’s pretty awesome.”

Jed Lowrie and Khris Davis gave the Athletics an opportunity for another come-from-behind win. Stephen Piscotty completed the job.

Piscotty belted a go-ahead, two-run homer in the 11th inning as Oakland rallied for a 6-3 victory over the Cleveland Indians on Saturday afternoon.

It was the Athletics’ 22nd comeback win of the season, six of them occurring in extra innings. The Indians carried a 3-0 lead into the eighth before reliever Neil Ramirez gave up back-to-back home runs to Lowrie — a two-run blast — and Davis to tie it.

”You can’t sleep on our offense because we can vaporize the lead really quick Authentic Thomas Rawls Jersey ,” Piscotty said. ”We know that and that’s why we keep grinding and keep playing.”

Matt Chapman, who had a career-high four hits and stole his first base in the majors, scored later in the frame on Jonathan Lucroy’s grounder to make a winner out of A’s closer Blake Treinen (5-1).

Nine of Oakland’s last 19 victories have occurred via runs in the eighth inning or later, including its last two. The A’s scored twice in the eighth Wednesday to beat San Diego 4-2.

”Just knowing that we’re not out of the game, no matter how late it is, definitely builds confidence,” said Davis, who has a team-high 21 homers. ”We’ll just keep learning from them and hold onto the momentum.”

Cleveland had its home winning streak snapped at eight and fell to 1-6 in extra-inning contests. Josh Tomlin (0-5), the Indians’ sixth pitcher, allowed all three runs after entering to start the 11th.

Right-hander Corey Kluber tossed seven shutout innings, but was denied in his bid to become the first Indians pitcher with 13 wins before the All-Star break since Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry had 15 in 1974.

The two-time AL Cy Young winner allowed only one runner to reach third base, scattering five hits and striking out three before exiting after 102 pitches. Kluber is 7-1 with a 1.43 ERA at Progressive Field this season.

”Even though we didn’t beat him Bryan Bulaga Jersey , to get a win with a guy like Kluber on the mound to start, that might be worth two for us,” Lowrie said. ”It never seems like we’re out of a game.”

Oakland righty Edwin Jackson went 5 2/3 innings in his third big league start of the year, allowing single runs in the first, second and sixth. Ryan Buchter, Lou Trevino and Treinen combined to blank Cleveland the rest of the way.

Ramirez hadn’t allowed a run in his previous 17 appearances, but manager Terry Francona didn’t second-guess his decision to pull his ace.

”Corey is such a good pitcher and he’s smart, and he gave us seven really good innings,” Francona said. ”We lean on him so hard, I thought we’d go to Neil. And it didn’t work. Neil has been good, but today, not so much.”

Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor scored his major league-leading 79th run and had an RBI Cardinals Authentic Jerseys , while Greg Allen doubled home Yan Gomes. Lindor committed the error that scored Chapman with the game’s final run.

CHESS GAME

The Indians played the final three innings without a designated hitter after Francona made a flurry of strategic moves that forced RHP Zach McAllister into the batting order. The former Phillies skipper also pulled off a rare AL double-switch in the 11th to avoid having Tomlin bat.

”We didn’t want to play a National League game for obvious reasons,” Francona said. ”I didn’t want to do it, but I thought that was our best way to win.”

TRAINER’S ROOM

Athletics: OF Matt Joyce (lumbar strain) was placed on the 10-day disabled list. He missed 15 games in June with the same ailment. OF Nick Martini was recalled from Triple-A Nashville, where he has a 65-game on-base streak.

Indians: OF Lonnie Chisenhall (left calf strain), who was hurt Monday in Kansas City, will travel to Washington for a second opinion on his oft-injured lower legs. This marks his third DL stint with calf problems in a calendar year.

UP NEXT

Athletics LHP Brett Anderson (0-2, 7.63 ERA) will be activated to face Indians RHP Shane Bieber (4-0, 2.97 ERA) in the three-game series finale. Anderson has not pitched for Oakland since May 18 because of a strained right shoulder.

 Womens New Orleans Saints Jerseys